Summer 2016

Laura Grulke – Tianjin, China

Grulke, LauraVitals: Junior, Journalism and Mass Communication major, certificate in Professional Chinese Communication

Goals: During my time in China, I hope to gain fluency in my language skills, improve my cultural competency and see and try lots of knew things. I’m excited to step outside my comfort zone and immerse myself in a completely different culture.

Motivation: I am interested in studying in Tianjin partly because of its proximity to Beijing and partly because it will provide an incredible setting for me to improve my Chinese language skills. Learning a language in the classroom is one thing; learning a language abroad in its place of origin is another!

Previous overseas travel: I have never been out of the country, so this experience will be completely new to me!

Lauren Raasch – UW Microbiology and Public Health in Northern Thailand

Raasch, LaurenVitals: Will be a junior the fall of 2016. Microbiology Major, French Major, Global Health Minor

Goals:  My goals are to enjoy and experience Thailand firsthand while making connections with people who have similar interests as myself.

Motivation:  Having already studied abroad in France and done a lot of traveling outside of that, you could say I have caught the travel bug. However, I have never been able to make it further east than the Czech Republic, so Thailand is unexplored territory for me. I chose this program in particular not only because Thailand is beautiful and completely foreign to me, but because it was directly linked to two of my areas of study: Microbiology and Global Health. Therefore, this program will give me the field experience required by the global health minor and allow me to study Microbiology in an internationally renowned university, Mae Fah Luang.

Previous overseas travel:  France, Germany, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Dominican Republic and Costa Rica.