1. Sand in everything is totally inevitable.
2. There is never too much hammock time.
3. Bioluminescent plankton isn’t just in National Geographic shows.
4. Everything can be improved by coconut and lime.
5. Don’t trust the local boys and don’t accept free surfing lessons.
6. Ecuadorian sun is extremely strong.
7. Don’t trust anyone during Carnaval, as they will spray you or throw water at you with no reservation.
8. Clothes theft is a thing.
9. The Ecuadorian portion of rice may be massive, but when you’re trying for $5 a day it can count for lunch and dinner.
10. There are no clocks in Canoa.