My roommate Judith and I spent the past weekend almost entirely at the beach. With temperatures reaching 68 and plenty of sunshine and blue skies, neither of us could think of a better way to spend one of our last remaining weekends. Chances are this weekend will be spent in a very similar way.
While enjoying our relaxing weekend, Judith and I decided to compile the “unofficial best of Auckland” guide. After much deliberation, here is the “Best” Auckland has to offer.
- Hiking: Waitakere Ranges. The ranges offer plenty of miles of beaches as well as a rainforest like feel deep in the ranges. It even features a rainforest.
- Island: Rangitoto. Located 45 minutes away from the city via ferry, this is a “sleeping volcano”. It offers amazing views of the city, hiking, and relaxing beaches.
- Park: Cornwall Park
- View of the City: Mt. Eden
- Beach: Mission Bay.
- Shopping Area: Newmarket.
- Pizza: Sal’s Authentic New York Pizza located in Takapuna. They claim they use authentic Wisconsin cheese.
- Burgers: Wisconsin Burger. This needs no explanation. The names says it all.
- Street for restaurants: K Road
- Sports: Super Rugby games at Eden Park.
- Way to spend the day: taking a harbour cruise
- Dessert: Movenpick ice cream shops
- Museum: the Auckland Museum located within Auckland Domain.
- Unique Auckland experience: The Sky Tower