UW Global Gateway Fellowships Fall 2019 and Academic Year 2019-2020

Taylor Eilers – CET Prague, Czech Republic

Photo of Taylor EilersVitals: Operations and Technology Management Major, International Business Major, Supply Chain management certificate, East Central European Studies Certificate

Goals:  I would like to network and build connections in Czech international industries, earn conversational proficiency in the Czech language, and become more acquainted with the history and culture of the Czech Republic. I chose a program that would combine my career goals with my passion for the Czech Republic.

Motivation:  I chose to go to the Czech Republic so that I would earn a solid foundation in the language after 2 years of post-secondary instruction. I am also extremely interested in establishing a foundation for a career in international business specifically in the Czech Republic. Having an international component in my career is my top priority and I wanted to take advantage of an opportunity to embark on my future career ambitions.

Previous overseas travel:  As a senior in high school, I was a Rotary Youth Exchange student in Brno, Czech Republic. While there, I was given the opportunity to travel to Austria, Slovakia, France, Italy, Spain and England.

Trina Olsen – UW in Washington, DC

Photo of Trina Olsen

Vitals: International Studies major with a focus on Politics and Policy in the Global Economy, and a certificate in Global Health.

Goals:  During my time in D.C. with the Wisconsin in Washington program, I hope to fill in my knowledge gaps regarding how policies/laws are introduced and subsequently passed. I hope to secure an internship that relates to one or several of my varied interests: women’s reproductive health policy, global health, Latin America, immigration, or democratization.

Motivation:  One of the most appealing things about the WI in Washington Program to me was the idea of getting to ‘study abroad’ within the United States. I’ve only lived in Madison and Milwaukee in the U.S., so I am excited to see what its like to live in another region in the U.S. Of course, D.C. is also an excellent place to work and live for people interested in international and domestic policy, like myself. I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of professional opportunities exist that I might pursue post-graduation.

Previous overseas travel: Ecuador, Mexico

Duncan Slagle – Arcadia in Greece, Athens, Greece

Photo of Duncan Slagle

Vitals: Second Year: Classics—Ancient Greek, Classical Humanities, and English–Creative Writing

Goals:  I aim to further my study of the Greek language, soak up the vibrant artistic scene(s) of Athens, and eat all the octopus I can.

Motivation: I am excited to learn more about Athens, a city I respect so much for how it preserves its ancient history without sacrificing its modern identity. I think the boundary between past and present blurs and complicates in Athens, which offers fertile ground for my academic curiosities. I want to live in that boundary while studying language and Classical literature, as I imagine it will inform my studies in so many unexpected ways.

Previous overseas travel:  Greece, Italy, and London.

Academic Year 2019-2020

Andrew Kressin – University of Haifa, Israel

Photo of Andrew KressinVitals: Psychology and English Major

Goals:  My aims for my year abroad include 1) immersing myself in novel cultures, customs, and challenges; 2) learning as much as possible in as many different ways as possible; 3) reflecting on and growing from my experiences; 4) acquiring a second language; 5) further developing my global perspective; and 6) applying my knowledge so to improve my life and others.

Motivation:  In addition to wanting to learn more about the past and present of the region, I am motivated to go to Haifa, Israel because of the stress and trauma research being done there. I became interested in these subjects after my mom died unexpectedly three and a half years ago. As a future physician-scientist, I am committed to using my adverse experiences for good by contributing to something greater than myself.

Previous overseas travel: Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland

Craig Kunkel – Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Exchange, Sweden

Photo of Craig Kunkel

Vitals: Environmental Science (CALS) major, Environmental Studies certificate, Interdisciplinary Global Studies certificate

Goals:  As a CALS Environmental Science major, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Exchange program is a rare opportunity to study in the heart of a great scientific community currently combating environmental, ecological, and resource sustainability problems. Through this program, I hope to gain first-hand experience of various avenues through which environmental problems can be resolved, examine the science behind those techniques, and join in the efforts to create a more sustainable world. …I’d also like to pet a wolverine.

Motivation:  Make myself as competitive a candidate as possible for graduate school; Enhance my understanding of ecological and environmental problems; Gain multi-cultural and international perspectives on climate change mitigation; Challenge myself intellectually and academically; Fulfill a lifelong dream of visiting the Scandinavian countries

Previous overseas travel: French Quebec, Hokkaido.